Member of staff responsible: Mr D. Tudor
This course provides candidates with an introduction to the mathematics studied in A Level GCE modules. It is designed for those students who have a thorough knowledge of the content of the Higher Tier of the National Curriculum for Mathematics. They should have achieved, or be expected to achieve one of the top 3 grades at GCSE.
Algebra (Level 3)
The Pearson Edexcel Level 3 Awards in Algebra enables students to:
• Develop a thorough knowledge and understanding of concepts in algebra and a sound foundation of mathematical techniques
• Acquire confidence in their mathematical skills to move into further study in the subject or related areas
• Enjoy using mathematics and become confident when using mathematics
• Develop proficiency in algebra to support progression in their studies, in the workplace and for training.
o Algebraic manipulation and solution of equations
o Inequalities and number sequences
o Linear and curved graphs, distance and time graphs, speed and time graphs
GCSE Statistics (Level 2)
The Edexcel (9-1) GCSE Statistics course consists of two externally assessed examinations.
• The collection of data
• Processing, representing and analysing data
• Probability OCR FSMQ Additional Maths (Level 3)
The course aims to:
• Introduce students to the power and elegance of advanced mathematics
• To allow students to experience the directions in which the subject is developed post-GCSE.
• To develop confidence in using mathematical skills in other areas of study.
Pure Mathematics content- Algebra, Co-ordinate Geometry, Trigonometry, Calculus.